MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE,
LIVESTOCK AND FISHERIES
STATE DEPARTMENT OF LIVESTOCK
VETERINARY SURGEONS AND VETERINARY PARAPROFESSIONALS INTERNSHIP VACANCIES
STATE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
KENYA CEREAL ENHANCEMENT PROGRAMME (KCEP) AND
CLIMATE RESILIENT AGRICULTURAL LIVELIHOOD WINDOW
MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE, LIVESTOCK AND FISHERIES
STATE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
KENYA CEREAL ENHANCEMENT PROGRAMME (KCEP) AND CLIMATE RESILIENT AGRICULTURAL LIVELIHOOD WINDOW (CRAL)
RECRUITMENT OF PROGRAMME COORDINATION UNIT STAFF
The Kenya Cereal Enhancement Programme (KCEP) and Climate Resilient Agricultural Livelihood Window (CRAL) is being implemented by the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries (MOALF) and funded, by GOK, the European Union (EU) and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD). The Programme covers 13 counties. The Programme objectives is to contribute to national food security by increasing the production of the targeted cereal staples (Maize, Sorghum, Millet and related pulses), increasing incomes of the smallholders in the production areas, and supporting smallholder farmers in graduating from subsistence to commercial agriculture. The programme planned for a period of seven (7) years.
The Programme Coordination Unit (PCU) is located in Nairobi and shall be responsible for the overall coordination and management of the programme. In addition, the programme will have three PCU sub-units, in Nakuru, Siakago (Embu County) anD Coast.
The KCEP-CRAL is an expansion of KCEP to the ASALs , which became effective in August 2015, through a partnership between the Government of Kenya, the European Union, and IFAD. The overall development goals is to contribute to the reduction of rural poverty and food insecurity of smallholders in the ASALs by developing their economic potential while improving their natural resources management capacity and resilience to climate change.
The CRAL Programme Area will cover eight semi-arid counties of Easter and Coast Regions. These are Embu, Tharaka-Nithi, Kitui, Machakos, Makueni, Taita Taveta, Kwale and Kilifi (Coast Region will be coordinated from Mombasa).
PROCUREMENT OFFICER (PRO) – NAIROBI (REF. PR001)
Procurement Officer will report to the Finance and Administration Manager and will be stationed in PCU Nairobi.
Duties and Responsibilities:-
- Planning, developing and managing all procurement and contractual aspects of the Programme;
- Procuring of programme works, goods and services at the central level and assist/supervise decentralized procurement as appropriate;
- Ensuring proper use and maintenance of programme assets;
- Preparing of annual and quarterly procurement plans in collaboration with members of the PCU and implementing partners, and submitting them for approval by the PSC and IFAD along with the AWPB;
- Maintaining and updating procurement plans with a review of timely taking corrective measures/actions to mitigate any potential delay or variation in planned activities;
- Conducting market research to keep PCU abreast with market developments relating to market prices of goods, works and services in order to ensure realistic cost estimates vis-à-vis Programme unit costs as a way to control Programme cost;
- Guiding the preparation and advertisement of TORs and tender and contract documents for specific procurements according to GOK and IFAD guidelines;
- Participating in relevant tender committee meetings as the Lead Agency and assisting with the preparation of committee reports;
- Reviewing and advising on tender evaluation reports prepared by the counties and other implementing agencies and making necessary follow-up;
- Maintaining high quality procurement files including database, contract registers and inventory for review by supervision missions and auditors; Preparing regular financial and procurement progress reports;
- Contributing to Programme relevant operational documentations including manuals to ensuring that procurement related procedures, policies and tools are sufficiently reflected particularly relating to MoU, Subsidiary Agreements, ToRs e.t.c. with implementing partners and contracted service providers both public and private and
- Providing guidance and advice to county and sub-county procurement committees on best practices on procurement procedures and regularly reviewing their procurement reports to provide feedback on areas of improvements.
For appointment to this position, applicants must have:-
- A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in either Supply Chain Management, Purchasing and Supplies Management or Commerce, Public Administration, Law, Accounting plus a post graduate qualification in Supplies Chain Management or any other relevant/equivalent field from a recognized institution;
- Seven (7) years’ experience for Bachelor’s degree holder or five (5) years’ experience for Master’s or above degree holder in procurement of civil works, goods and services for GOK and donor funded projects;
- Experience in preparing tender and contract documents for national and international competitive bidding;
- Comprehensive knowledge of Public Procurement Regulations, as well as procurement guidelines for IFAD, the World Bank and EU,
- Strong computer application and communications skills (oral, written, presentational); and
- Fluent in English and Kiswahili.
- Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the above position. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Each application should be accompanied by a CV, testimonials, academic and professional certificates. The prescribed CV should be downloaded from the Ministry’s website: kilimo.go.ke under vacancies.
- Those who had previously applied should re-apply if they meet the qualifications.
- The recruitment process will be executed by a private HR firm (Stan Consulting Group Ltd) which has been contracted by the State Department of Agriculture.
- Each application should be clearly indicated, enclosed in a sealed envelope with a cover letter, detailed CVs and copies of all relevant qualifications, addressed and mailed to:
The Principal Secretary
Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries
State Department of Agriculture
P.O. Box 30028-00100
NB All applications should be received on or before 4th January, 2017 at 11.00am.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Canvassing in any form will lead to disqualification.
(NB:hand delivery applications for the position can be dropped at Kilimo House 5th floor Registry)